Tuesday, September 15, 2009

South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Currently Vibin to: My Heart Stopped Beating – Rock City


So in two classes so far we have talked about diversity, race relations, and other things of that nature; some interesting discussions took place, centering around some really interesting concepts.


Innocent ignorance; the responsibility of the oppressed to speak up; what is too far; the use of derogatory terms by the oppressed within their group... the list goes on.


The biggest thing that hit me was innocent ignorance.  Even as a member of an "oppressed group", I don't recognize racism when it is in an innocent ignorance context.  That's the catch though–– I don't necessarily want to.  I know that I am an eternal optimist, and I can accept that.  But apparently I am missing a lot of things that black people here in the South see, and feel.  That's really what I took from these class discussions... that I should be more sensitive to these issues.  But I don't want to be.


Case in point: the first few days when everyone was meeting everyone, introducing myself became like a broken record.  Hi I'm Anthony, I'm from Columbus, and no I don't play on the basketball team.  Almost every single person asked "Do you play basketball?"... I continually told them that I was retired.  Don't get me wrong–– I didn't take it in anyway racist or what have you... I always think it as a pretty innocent question, seeing as I am pretty tall (relatively).  But some of the football players here, from the south, tried to make it seem like people assume I play ball not only cause I'm tall, but tall and black.  I don't take it that way... but looking back on how almost everyone, literally, asked me if I did, it just makes you think.


Do they think that I couldn't get into a school of Elon's quality on my own merits?  That I had to play ball to be able to afford to come here?


I, honestly, don't think that these were the unasked questions behind the inquiries of everyone I met.  If that makes me naive, so be it.  If it is because I'm from the North... so be it.  I realize there are people who still degrade others, not just because of race, but because of sex, gender, sexual orientation, economic class, whatever it may be, but I sincerely believe that the people I choose to spend my time with and place my trust in aren't like that.  When I encounter those bigots, racists, whatever, I believe that I will know it.  I understand that some people are insensitive, but its damn near impossible to change something about someone that is so ingrained in them.


I don't know.  I think the way I am trying to live my life is conducive to happiness.  If that takes me making fun of myself to help everyone around me feel comfortable, even if I pluck on stereotypes about myself to do it... then that's what I'll do.  I guess I should chill out on that kind of stuff down here, because apparently Columbus is a little more progressive on these things.  Or maybe its just me.


Brr.

0 comments: